When spring arrives, all the lawn & garden areas will have to be watered to give them a strong start to grow well and become healthy. Impact Irrigation Solutions provides high quality Spring Start-Ups. It’s important to note that if you attempt to start the system before the last frost, the sprinkler installation is still at risk of getting damaged. Ideally, the system should be started up only after the last frost
A professional Spring Start-Up of your lawn sprinklers should consist of the following items to ensure your system is operating at peak performance and is conserving not wasting water. Not all Spring Start-Ups are created equal. Ask your irrigation contractor for a list of tasks that are included with their sprinkler Spring Start-Up.
Impact Irrigation Solutions Spring Start-Up process offers the following system inspection list and basic tune up.
- Open the system main water valve slowly to allow pipes to fill with water gradually. If these valves are opened too quickly, sprinkler main lines are subjected to high surge pressures, uncontrolled flow and water hammer, which may cause them to crack or burst.
- Inspect and clean backflow to detect and eliminate leaks.
- Pressure test mainline pipe at winterization/ master valve fitting to detect leaks
- Verify the proper operation of each zone electrically by manually activating zones from the controller. Check for correct ohms and voltage readings for any electrical problems
- Walk through each zone, checking for proper operation of the zone. Check for proper operating pressure (low pressure indicates a line break or missing sprinkler), proper rotation and adjustment of sprinkler heads, and proper coverage of areas. Check and clean filters on poorly performing sprinklers. Adjust heads to grade as necessary.
- Check and clean well filter if applicable
- Inspect rain sensor for correct operation and inform customer if repair is needed
- Replace batteries in wireless rain sensors
- Program controller reflecting current weather trends
- Discuss with customer any issues or recommendations
As you can see, a spring start-up involves a number of steps and only the experts will be able to detect if something is not working the way it should. For more information about our expert and customized services, call Impact Irrigation Solutions on 484-723-3600 or contact us via this online form.